CEU Brain Anatomy and Function
This course will review various types of brain injury, disability assessment scales and brain function. Participants will be provided with descriptions of open and closed head injuries and various types of more specific brain injury. The neuophysiological mechanisms of brain injury will be reviewed, including digital animations. Various disability evaluation scales will be outlined so that participants are familiar with popular assessment instruments in the field. Lastly, the differences between right and left-hemisphere brain function and the role of each major brain lobe (area) in neurobehavioral skills will be reviewed.
This course (02.00-02C-07-99-73) is certified for 2.0 CCM (Certified Case Manager) and BRN (California Board of Registered Nurses) clock hours. The TBI Resource Guide CCM vendor code is 000018.
Course information is free to the public. Those wishing to obtain continuing education units must complete the test and course evaluation form. There is a $60.00 processing and certification fee.
1. The participant will understand the differences between open and closed head injuries.
2. The participant will be able to describe various types of more specific brain injury.
The participant will have an understanding of the mechanism underlying a coup-contrecoup brain injury.
3. The participant will have a neuroanatomical understanding of diffuse axonal injury (DAI).
4. The participant will be able to describe the most commonly used disability assessment scales.
5. The participant will understand the differences between right and left-hemisphere brain functions
6. The participant will be able to describe the basic functions of each major lobe of the brain
Types of Brain Injury
Glasgow Coma Scale
Rancho Los Amigos Scale
Disability Rating Scale
Hemisphere Brain Functions
Course Evaluation Form